[mythtv-users] Hardware databases

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Feb 2 20:33:06 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 02:13:54PM -0600, james meyer wrote:
> On Monday 02 February 2009, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 09:24 -0700, Brian Phillips wrote:
> > > My idea is this:
> > > 1) When myth is installed, the user is asked if they would like to opt-in
> > > a "hardware survey".
> > > 2) After a specific time frame has passed (eg 100 hours recorded and/or
> > > watched), if the user has selected to opt-in to the program, the myth
> system
> > > will "phone home" to a database and provide a hardware listing.
> >
> > I've thought about this before. Programmers at hardware makers have told
> > me they could probably spend more time on Linux if they could show their
> > bosses some solid numbers for the number of folks using Linux with their
> > hardware. This would need to be broached with the other developers and
> > in here and I would need to find the time to actually write the code for
> > it. I'll follow this thread and see what people's opinions are.
> >
> > The important points from a user perspective is that it would be opt-in,
> > only aggregate data would be reported, and the callback server would be
> > under a server under *.mythtv.org, so it would ultimately be under
> > Isaac's control. PS I would get user approval immediately before a
> > "phone home", otherwise someone might forget that they opted in and
> > get needlessly upset.
> >
> > -- Daniel
> Perhaps something like http://smolt.fedoraproject.org/  would fit the bill?
> There is already a myth plugin  that can submit smolt data.   For the client
> the 3 main requirments are python,hal and dbus.
>
> Setting up a smoon server is pretty straight forward, in fact there is one
> already setup collecting data for knoppmyth.

    This looks pretty cool. Although it doesn't seem to categorize hardware
at all. Although I might just be missing someting. Being able to do a "Top
of the Pops" for all capture devices or all video cards would be the most
useful application of smolt I think.

    With what's there on the fedora page, just searching on PVR is cool enough.
Although I am not sure what to make of the "?" rating category. That sounds
like something that's not been rated but has a label that's less neutral than
that.