[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] comcast moving to settop on Bay Area - goodbye analog

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Feb 2 21:35:17 UTC 2009

On Monday 02 February 2009 14:15:34 Jacob Steenhagen wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 11:51 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > Yeah, my local cable company is telling people that "The FCC is requiring
> > us
> > to go all digital", which is not true at all. They are trying to make
> > everyone pay for a STB and blame it on the government.
>
> You'd think they could get sued for false advertising or making a false
> statement or something like that.  At the very least, a bunch of people
> should write to the local news papers and make sure people are informed
> (people still read those, right??).

I think they are smart enough to not make any overtly false statements. They
just confuse the issue enough that people can't figure out what's really
going on.

Describing cable service as a "solution" to the digital changeover is not a
lie, nor is describing suicide as a "solution" to terminal cancer.

The worst is saying "Digital is so good that by law all television has to be
digital", as if the government would NEVER mandate anything less than
optimal. That statement is actually false though, not "all" TV is required to
be digital.

A L to the E is a good idea though, if I can get it printed.

--
beww
beww at beww.org