[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] comcast moving to settop on Bay Area - goodbye analog

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 21:44:06 UTC 2009

> I think they are smart enough to not make any overtly false statements.
> They
> just confuse the issue enough that people can't figure out what's really
> going on.
>
> Describing cable service as a "solution" to the digital changeover is not a
> lie, nor is describing suicide as a "solution" to terminal cancer.
>
> The worst is saying "Digital is so good that by law all television has to
> be
> digital", as if the government would NEVER mandate anything less than
> optimal. That statement is actually false though, not "all" TV is required
> be digital.
>
> A L to the E is a good idea though, if I can get it printed.

I posted this article to the list earlier:
http://arstechnica.com/media/news/2009/01/fcc-wants-big-fines-for-cable-giants-over-channel-switching.ars.
It seems like the FCC didn't care how or what they said about it. If they
are switching analog channels to digital and forcing customers to pay extra
for set top boxes or digital packages to get the same channels, then they
could get in trouble. That is assuming anything comes of this with the new
administration at the FCC.