[mythtv-users] Lots of confusion as to which card(s) to buy for vdpau

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 03:51:26 UTC 2009

From: Calvin Harrigan <charriglists at bellsouth.net>
> The fact that it doesn't support VC-1 means that it's not
> a G98 or  greater core.
> The ones that support VC-1 is an 8400GS, which I can find
> plenty of,  it's just that I've read that they are not
> powerful enough to do the  high end deinterlacing etc.
> Like the subject of the thread says, it's quite confusing.
> Right now I'm trying to decide between te 9500GT or a
> 8400GS. How important is VC-1 decoding, isn't that a
> microsoft codec?

Good questions and I really don't know. While VC-1 support
sounds good, the only codes I need support for are MPEG2
(std DVB FTA) and DivX (MPEG4?) for downloaded videos.

And I would like support for the high end deinterlaces - my
8400GS can't cope with HW2 or Temporal-2 for HD content.

I'll give the 9500GT a go - you think its got more grunt?

Lindsay Mathieson
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~blackpaw1/album