[mythtv-users] Are there any throttling features in Mythtv?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Feb 3 16:01:44 UTC 2009

Sunday evening, we sat down to watch a film I'd recorded just before Christmas,
2 hours long. This was about 7:45 pm. An hour and a half later, the whole system
hung. There was not the slightest sign that anything was wrong up to the point
it froze.

After some investigation of the front end[1] I discovered that the back end had
hung. This was because at 8:55 pm the back end had begun three simultaneous
recordings on three DVB-T tuners. Apparently my back end couldn't cope with
reading and writing four streams simultaneously[2].

Now, before you all scream "throw more hardware at it!" I would like to point
out that whatever system you've got, a point will come when you are likely to
stress it. So it occurred to me to wonder if there was any kind of throttling or
warning available in mythtv, apart from "max # of jobs to run on this backend".

For example, if I were to play a long film that happened to overlap a period of
heavy recording, would it be possible for the system to say something like "this
probably isn't a good idea, go and watch something shorter"? Or for it to show
me what's likely to happen within the playing time of the selected program?

I wouldn't want to go as far as rescheduling, but some kind of information
screen might be useful. At the moment, to find out what's scheduled involves
going into "schedule programs" then "upcoming recordings" to see a list, then
backing out and going to "watch recordings" to find something to watch. Anyone
any suggestions?

[1] see separate post. The front end was ok in this instance.
[2] recording three simultaneous streams is known to work ok. Recording 2
streams and watching one is known to work ok.

--

Mike Perkins