[mythtv-users] Linux-HDTV Remote?

Richard Thomas rich at dicksonlife.com
Tue Feb 3 22:36:42 UTC 2009

Todd Davis wrote:

> Anyway - here's my question - does anyone know if this card supports a
> remote control? And if so - which, or what kind?

I'm pretty sure that the instructions for my PCHDTV5500 showed an IR
type received on a dongle with "not currently supported" or maybe just
"not supported" next to it.

The thing to remember is that the receiving of content is technically a
separate issue from the control of the tuner. It might be better from a
consumer or marketing standpoint to include a remote but not
necessarily. Who is to say that you'll like the remote or wouldn't
rather control the tuner from your iphone or that the machine won't be
located half a world away from where you'll be watching? And even if
these don't apply, if you put both cards in the same machine, do you
want two remotes? I think what it comes down to is attempting to keep
the cost down by not including what many people will have no use for.

That said, it would be nice if the IR receiver worked, even if a remote
was not included. Fortunately, the barebones I bought came with IR built in.

Rich