[mythtv-users] Core 2 Duo iMac, terrible performance as front end

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 01:11:05 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 5:47 PM, David Snider <dsnider at thesniderpad.com>wrote:

>> Dave, just to be clear, you mean:
>>
>> Utilities/Setup -> Setup -> TV Settings -> Playback (Page 2/10)
>>
>> and change both Vertical Scaling and Horizontal Scaling?  I know I've
>> tried this before but when I can pry the kids away from the Wii, I'm going
>> to have another go.
>>

> Yep, I change both of those to non zero values, watch a recording or live
> tv, then change then back to 0 and everything works.  Not sure why.
>
>> I've never had as good playback with .21-fixes as I had with .20.2.  I
>> have two Mac Minis running OS X for Myth.  The frontend/backend is connected
>> a Sony LCD projection set and to an A/V receiver using digital audio.  The
>> other mini is a frontend only connected to a computer monitor and using
>> analog audio.  For a description of the problems on the frontend/backend,
>> see:
>> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/5552
>>
>> Todd Ignasiak posted earlier that he had good success with:
>> Decoder: Standard
>> Video renderer: quartz-blit
>> OSD Renderer: softblend
>>
>> What deinterlacers are you using (primary/secondary)?
>>
>> While I'm at it, here are the Mac specific settings (pages 9/10 of the
>> above group):
>>
>> Enable gamma correction for video:  Off
>> Scale video as necessary:  On
>> Frames to skip in fullscreen mode: 0
>> Video in main window:  On
>>  Frames to skip: 0
>>  Opacity:  100
>> Video in floating window: Off
>> Video on the dock:  Off
>> Video on the desktop:  Off
>>
>> These are good, right?
>>

> The only difference I have from yours is that I have Video on the dock: On
> with Frames to Skip set to 3.
>
> On page 3/10, I'm using CPU+ for my playback profile, even though I'll bet
> most of those settings aren't applicable, (XvMC, XVideo, etc.)
>
>  Craig

So, it appears things have gotten weirder  - I made the recommended changes
to the settings as follows:

Decoder: Standard
Video renderer: quartz-blit
OSD Renderer: softblend

And that didn't help. I then took David's advice changing the scaling to
-25%, and I no longer have video in SD, just a black screen with audio.
Changing the scaling back to 0 doesn't help, I'm currently stuck with no
video for SD recordings and HD is as choppy as where I started! Now what?