[mythtv-users] The $99 frontend is here. Is this too good to be true?

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Feb 4 17:04:21 UTC 2009

Steve Peters wrote:
>The following link is a company on ebay selling a 1.8ghz Pentium M system
>with 1gb ram and 2gb compact flash memory for the hard drive in a complete
>mini itx system that measures 13" by 11" by 3" and it's all only $99 with
>free shipping....Includes power supply and everything.
>
>What am I missing here. How is this company to do this for only $99.00? Or
>is this the best deal you ever heard of?

It's a used motherboard, and probably a used case
etc - ie these are second hand systems. They have
probably come from an upgrade program - perhaps
an EPOS upgrade for a large retailer. As such,
they will probably have been bought for next to
nothing, and hence can be sold at that price.

Next, as to using it for MythTV, is the spec OK ?
The item page has a link to the motherboard specs
(http://www.i3368g.com/spec.html) where it says :

Chipset	Intel® 852GM + ICH*4

Display
Chipset
Integrated in Intel® 852GM GMCH
Memory Size
Max. up to 64MB frame buffer sharing system memory
Resolution
*Single display mode - CRT: 1600 x 1200; LVDS LCD: 1366 x 768
*DualView mode - CRT: 1600 x 1200; LVDS LCD: 1366 x 768
Output Interface
*CRT connector for DAC output *LVDS LCD with 18/36 or 24/48 bit channel mode

Is that a decent mainboard and graphics setup for Myth ?

--
Simon Hobson