[mythtv-users] Why cant we make a STB?

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 23:38:05 UTC 2009

> You *are* missing something. You won't be able to decrypt encrypted channels,
> unless perhaps somebody were to some up with a Linux/CableCard solution,
> which is unlikely.

i guess i should refrain from saying STB.  And use extender.  Not a
all in one box but a device that streams myth recording from the
backend to the TV.

> It would be hard to sell something that would only receive off-airs and
> perhaps some other clear channels (home shopping, CSPAN etc.).
>
> $200 frontends are possible, a lot of people are doing it with AppleTV. The
> situation can only get better.

The Apple TV is far from ideal, it requires a hackish job that only
handles MPEG2 what I really mean is a box like the Sage Extender but
exclusively for Myth.

http://www.sagetv.com/hd_theater.html

--
Mitchell