[mythtv-users] Lots of confusion as to which card(s) to buy for vdpau

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 07:59:41 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/2/5 Bill Williamson <bill at bbqninja.com>:
> So if we want blu-ray, these are the onyl two options?

Bluray are either VC-1 or H264 ...
You can of course always do the decoding in software only. A C2D at
2.66GHz is usually sufficient

> I got the EN8400GS... seems I made a lucky but good choice!

It all depends ; you may have a 8400GS that isn't based on the G98 chipset.

If it's a 256MB card, you can be almost certain that it isn't.

If it's a 512MB card, a good indication to know if you have a VC-1
capable is if the card run at 657MHZ...

The definitive test is :

compile the utility and see the capabilities it reports: it has to show VC-1...

> With HD, as long as it's not 1080i (which there's not much of here in AU),
> "One Field" should be fine?  (eg only 576/720p broadcast or 1080p content
> from blu-ray) ?

But then you loose half the resolution !
SD in Oz is interlaced: 576i ... you definitely don't want to do
one-field on this... And most nvidia card would do temporal or advance
on SD signal anyway