[mythtv-users] Why cant we make a STB?

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 17:10:03 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 6:02 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 05:00:15PM -0800, Brad Fuller wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 4:56 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Perhaps what is needed is a mythtv frontend "reference design" - in
>> > fact it may be very similar to the ion reference design, but with a
>> > remote. Its something people could build with confidence, knowing its
>> > gonna work.
>>
>> A reference design is not a bad idea. If we could form a SIG here with
>> its purpose to create a MythTV HW reference design, HW mfrs could
>> utilize the design to build competitive products.
>>
>> At the very least, it would show HW mfrs what the community is
>> interested in. At it's best, it could be a design that mfrs could
>> develop from.
>
> ...perhaps we should approach one of the Linux system vendors like
> System76 with the specs of what we're interested in. A suitable
> dedicated frontend shares a lot of the same sorts of requirements
> as an AppleTV or mini Mac/PC and could probably be sold to the
> same sorts of customers. System76 already has a couple of "off
> the shelf" systems that are somewhere close to where a good MythTV
> extender would need to be.

We could. Or we could make this vendor -neutral. Develop a ref design
independently, and then if mfrs want to use it, they can have it.

It's sounds like the group wouldn't have much power, but you'd be
surprised. If there is enough people behind it, and the right people,
mfrs  will often listen. It has to be done in a professional and
serious way, though, or no one will pay attention. It takes a leader,
or co-leaders to get it done as well. I'm not saying it's easy, but it
can be done.

--
Brad Fuller