[mythtv-users] Moderately OT...How do you organize your music?

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 17:28:14 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 11:13, Chad <masterclc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 9:58 AM, James Oltman <cnlibmyth at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> This is my tree for a regular album:
>>> "Artist or Band Name" / "Year - Album" / ("Optional CD Nr"/)  "Track Nr.
>>> Artist Name - Song Title.extension"
>>>
>>> Loose songs:
>>> "Singles" / "Year" / "Year.Week Nr"/ "Artist Name - Song Title.extension"
>> Anyone else?
>>
>> Jim
>
> I'm a little simpler.
>
> For music I know all the information about:
> Artist / Album / Title by Artist.extension
>
> For music I just know artist and title I have a flat directory of:
>
> Title by Artist.extension
>
> The problem with my method is sorting.  If early on I had decided to
> be more traditional and use:
>
> Artist - Title.extension
>
> As I imagine most people do... Sorting by artist in a directory
> listing would be a no brainer.
>
> If you are going to take the time, I'd suggest a minimum of Artist -
> Title.extension but probably more ideally would be a minimum of Artist
> / Artist - Title.extension

Personally, I have 3 sections:

Full Albums/Album Artist/Album Name/[Disc #]/Track# -[ Track Artist -] Title.ext
Single Tracks/Artist/Artist - Title.ext
Unsorted/Who Knows.ext

So if it's a compilation album, it ends up in:

Full Albums/Various Artists/...

This works well for me, at least.
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston