[mythtv-users] Why cant we make a STB?

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Thu Feb 5 19:45:19 UTC 2009

jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> says:
> ...perhaps we should approach one of the Linux system vendors like
> System76 with the specs of what we're interested in. A suitable
> dedicated frontend shares

Do we want a "dedicated" frontend? I'd had in mind a small, compact,
inexpensive, computer that happens to have all the features a frontend
needs and nothing more. I'd much prefer that to a device that is
somehow locked in some way to just serving as a MythTV frontend, even
if I never use it for anything other than as a frontend.

A non-dedicated design would make it potentially attractive for
non-MythTV users who are looking for similar things. An example is
someone who never records anything, has ripped his 1000-DVD
collection, and is content watching them all via mplayer.

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array