[mythtv-users] Does multirec actually work ?

Jelle De Loecker skerit at kipdola.com
Thu Feb 5 23:51:44 UTC 2009

Op vrijdag 06-02-2009 om 09:36 uur [tijdzone +1100], schreef Jean-Yves
Avenard:
> Hi
>
> 2009/2/6 James Stembridge <jstembridge at gmail.com>:
> > Without switching tuners how could you view a channel on a different
> > multiplex? Live tv unfortunately won't switch tuners to give you the
> > channel you want.
>
> I thought about it a bit more while trying to fall asleep last night.
>
> I think I understand where the problem come from.
>
> I have 3 DVB-T cards, I created them allowing 2 recordings on each.
> MythTV then creates 6 encoders.
>
> Encoder 1 and 2: card 1
> Encoder 3 and 4: card 2
> Encoder 5 and 6: card 3
>
> Say I start watching LiveTV ; myth uses encoder 1. Start recording
> Exit LiveTV go back into livetv.
> myth uses the next available free encoder : encoder 2
>
> Problem is that next free encoder can only tune to a channel on the
> same multiplex.
>
> That's where the problem lies: it shouldn't have used encoder 2 but
> encoder 3 ; or the information that say channel X is not available on
> encoder 2 needs to be available somewhere for the new feature allowing
> to browse across all encoders to pick the right tuner...
> Would be great is someone could test with trunk and see if the
> behaviour is the same ; I expect that it is
>
> Hope that makes sense
>
> I don't know that mythtv code enough to know precisely what is going on...

> Jean-Yves

Exactly, the information I gave in this thread here:
http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2009-February/246777.html

and here:
http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2009-February/246817.html

should clarify it a bit.