[mythtv-users] Fwd: Digital Audio on HDMI MB not working

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 16:44:20 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 6:50 AM, Andrew Close <aclose at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 6:57 AM, James Armstrong <james at thearmstrongs.org> wrote:

>>> Just curious if anyone has found a way to control the volume of the audio
>>> from within mythtv? And if not, what are you doing to control the volume?
>>
>> I had it setup that way using SPDIF out on my old setup using Alsa softvol
>> plug or something like that. It worked really well.
>
> i use the volume on my Stereo, which everything is piped through.
>

> --
> Andrew Close

I will make the argument that if you are able to use myth internal
volume control you don't have it set up correctly.  You want myth to
pass the data to the output port without corrupting it.  If you can do
a volume function in myth, then it is decoding, modifying, and
encoding the signal.  That means the signal is
encoded-decoded-processed-encoded-decoded-processed-dac.
This is not what you want if you want high sound quality.  Let the box
that has the dac and processing associated with it be the only
decoder.

Now, if you are just outputting to some crappy TV speakers, that is a
different story.  But why not get a programmable remote and use the
output device volume control?

Allen