[mythtv-users] Interfacing with cable fox Time Werner then FIOS

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Feb 6 20:16:19 UTC 2009

On Feb 6, 2009, at 7:13 AM, greg wrote:

> MailingListJ wrote:
>> Hello,
>> So I'm looking for some help... I'm having a hard time finding how
>> to interface with my Time Werner cable box, I will be switching to
>> FIOS sometime in the future if I can but not at this current
>> moment.  Any ideas on how to get this off the ground so that I can
>> get HD into my foxes.  The next problem which I saw discussion
>> about was trans coding on the fly from HD to SD for my other TVs...
>> any ideas?
>> -J

> You will need an analog card like the hauppauge 150 or some similar
> card,then connect the Set top box via the s-video port on the card...

He asked how to get HD into his boxes (well, he said into his foxes,
but I assume he meant boxes because I don't think foxes do video, let
alone HD). He'll either need to try his hand with Firewire or the
Hauppauge HD-PVR. You can search the mailing list for information on
how to implement using these. Going with a standard definition capture
card will give you surprisingly good video (near DVD quality in my
experience) so it's not a bad alternative if you can't/don't want to
get the HD options working.

There is nothing in mythtv to transcode on the fly. The supported
method is to record something and set it to transcode once the
recording is complete, then the video will only be available within
mythtv as the newly transcoded video. Anything else is outside the
scope of what it currently available. This also makes the SD option
more attractive.

-Brad