[mythtv-users] Help me get closed captioning to work right?

Marc Barrett mnealbarrett at cox.net
Sat Feb 7 21:05:32 UTC 2009

I have a brand-new Dell Inspiron 530 with a core 2 duo
CPU (2.3Ghz) and 2G of RAM, with a firewire connection
to a Motorola DCH-3200 STB.  And, of course, MythTV
running under Ubuntu 8.10 via the Mythbuntu control
center (I installed Ubuntu first, not mythbuntu).

Anyway, I can watch, record, and playback HD channels,
with some problems due to the infamous problems
associated with firewire.  Closed captioning does not work
right, though, and that is something that I would really like
to get working very well.  Right now, it works somewhat, but
closed captioning lines will often overwrite, like if you hit return
on an old-fashioned computer terminal without doing a line feed.

The STB has quite a few options associated with closed
captioning, and I don't know if MythTV is dependent on
getting it set right or not.  There is, of course, CC on or off.
Under "analog services" there is CC1 to CC4, I keep it at
CC1 of course.  Under "digital services" there is standard,
primary, secondary, 'DTV CC3' to 'DTV CC6'.  (I have it set
at primary).  There are also options for text style, size,
color, and opacity, which I have all set to 'standard'.

I would appreciate some tips on this.  I have grown
accustomed to watching TV with closed captioning on. Even
though my hearing is fine, not every character on every
show enunciates perfectly all the time, and it is human
nature to miss something. CC allows me to see what they
said.