[mythtv-users] MP3 Audio transcoding quality?

jonny Linux jonnylinux at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 17:39:35 UTC 2009

Hi,

Could somebody please tell me what the 1-10 setting on the mp3 page of
the transcoders setup does? I know it says 1 is highest quality, using
the most processing power, but can anybody tell me what setting it
actually changes (does it change the target bitrate?).

My problem is, I'm transcoding my DVB-T videos to MPEG-4, with MP3
Audio, and I have the quality set to 1, and volume set to 90 (I assume
the volume doesn't matter for DVB recordings?). I've tried both 44100
and 48000 sampling rate. But when I play the transcoded files, it
sounds too compressed, slightly muffled (especially, for example, when
somebody says an 's').

The transcoded files sound much worse than when I use the DVB radio
exporting script, so I know its possible to get much better mp3 files
from a DVB mp2 stream.

I'm using 0.21 fixes on ubuntu, but I've had this for quite a while
now (on previous releases, and on Fedora which my backend was
previously running).

Thanks,

Jonny