[mythtv-users] Cool'n'Quiet setup help

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 04:21:02 UTC 2009

> I apologize if this is a stupid question but I don't have a file
> called up_threshold on my system.  I do have powernowd but not cpufreq.  I
> can find online docs for powernowd  but again they are many years old and I
> have to assume out of date.
> Allen

You do not want powernowd. You want to use the in kernel cpu frequency
scaling and the in kernel ondemand.

Here is what should be enabled on an AMD cpu

jmd1 ~ # zgrep POWERNOW /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8=y
CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8_ACPI=y

jmd1 ~ # zgrep CPU_FREQ /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT_DETAILS=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_POWERSAVE is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMAND is not set
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_CONSERVATIVE is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_CONSERVATIVE=y

Then here is what I do in a startup script:
echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
echo 15 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold

John