[mythtv-users] Cool'n'Quiet setup help

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 05:21:08 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 8:21 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I apologize if this is a stupid question but I don't have a file
> > called up_threshold on my system.  I do have powernowd but not cpufreq.
> > can find online docs for powernowd  but again they are many years old and
> > have to assume out of date.
> > Allen
> >

> You do not want powernowd. You want to use the in kernel cpu frequency
> scaling and the in kernel ondemand.
>
> Here is what should be enabled on an AMD cpu
>
> jmd1 ~ # zgrep POWERNOW /proc/config.gz
> CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8=y
> CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8_ACPI=y
>
> jmd1 ~ # zgrep CPU_FREQ /proc/config.gz
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y
> # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEBUG is not set
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT_DETAILS=y
> # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE is not set
> # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_POWERSAVE is not set
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE=y
> # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMAND is not set
> # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_CONSERVATIVE is not set
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND=y
> CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_CONSERVATIVE=y
>
> Then here is what I do in a startup script:
> echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
> echo 15 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold
>
> John

Thank you for the reply,

I take it that the two lines you quote at the end cause the CPU to go to max
frequency at 15% load.  That sounds good.  I tried to make sense of the
other config settings but I do not have any kind of config file in the /proc
directory.  I used some of what you gave me and did some searches but alas
they also gave me things to do on files that I do not have.

Allen