[mythtv-users] mplayer scaling

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Feb 9 12:09:54 UTC 2009

Nick Rout wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 3:09 AM, Mike Perkins
> <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
>> Bill Williamson wrote:
>>> 1. you shouldn't need "scale,"
>>> 2. although you might need "monitoraspect"
>>> 3. your tv is running at 1360x768, not 1366x768.  No mainstream drivers
>>> allow for not-divisible-by-8 resolutions, so you lose 3 pixels to the left
>>> and right (this is for everyone with a "720" lcd tv which is really
>>> 1366x768)
>>>
>> Actually, my TV does run at 1366x768, and that's what the Edid from it says.
>> I do, however, run xorg with 1360x768. There is a small black margin on the
>> RHS, but we can live with that.
>
> most tv's have settings to allow you to move the margins etc.
>
> I futzed with xorg.conf and xvidtune for days trying to move the whole
> image to the right 20 odd pixels then discovered the TV menu which
> fixed it in less than 5 minutes.

Would that that were the case with my TV. It's got a particularly user-hostile
interface, which is a shame given the potential it seems to have: analog,
Freeview, 2xSCART, 2xComposite, S-video and VGA. I'm using VGA so I have more
control over what goes in. The menus, as they say, are pants.

--

Mike Perkins