[mythtv-users] Apple Products as FEs

Eric Mesa ericsbinaryworld at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 14:54:21 UTC 2009

I've been searching the internets today an found lots of info on the tubes
about using the Mac Mini and Apple TV for MythTV front ends.  For monetary
reasons the Apple TV sounds like a pretty good bet.  It also has TV-out
connections.  Most of the nifo I've found seems to be a bit old, though.
I've a some questions that perhaps Apple users out there could help me with:

1) How hard is it to just overwrite Apple TV with MythBuntu or Mythdora.
2) If 1), then which has better Apple TV support?  (I currently use a
Mythdora FE/BE)
3) (I think) I saw that Myth FE can be installed onto Apple TV and still
keep the original functionality while adding Myth as another menu item.  (I
think) it said that this requires owning a Mac so you can copy some
utilities over
4) if 3) do I lose Myth FE every time there's an Apple TV update?
5) Does Apple TV play 1080i?
6) Are the formats Apple TV can play dependent upon the hardware or
software?  IOW, if I overwrite it with Linux - can I play OGGs and any
format I can play with Linux?  Or is the hardware too limited for that?

and, finally, thoughts from people who've used it - Mac Mini or Apple TV?
(Again, this is just for FE)

--
Eric Mesa
http://www.ericsbinaryworld.com