[mythtv-users] Can Myth stream another source + IR?

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Mon Feb 9 19:00:05 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth at dermanouelian.com>wrote:

> I've recently connected my DVD changer to my MythTV system. Mine connects
> via firewire and I can issue it commands like load disc x, unload current
> disc which is basically all I need. Here's basically how I have it
> integrated with MythVideo:

Your method sounds like it would be nice, but I don't have any way to
interface to mine like you did. This is a standard consumer video-DVD
changer. The input is IR or front panel and the output is video signals. I
don't really need Myth to do much here in the way of interfacing. I need
what amounts to a remote control setup. Take video from X source (dedicated
capture device) and send any IR commands that match this format to the
remote machine to re-transmit. In my case, I would have it re-send any Sony
IR commands. Or just re-transmit all IR, but that might mess with things.

So the user will interact directly with the changer's UI, Myth won't really
be involved at that point unless it's that I'm using the streaming protocol
or something. Ripping is fine, but slow compared to just dropping the disc
into the changer. And I don't need to provide HD space. And I already have
the changer, so why not use it? :)