[mythtv-users] Commercial PVR offerings - is MythTv still competitive ?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Feb 9 22:18:23 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 4:48 PM, George Mogielnicki <george at begos.ca> wrote:
> I did not start my first Mythtv to save money, even when PVR's were 300 or
> 400. Home build was always a little bit more expensive, but the fun,
> flexiblity and independence was (and still is) great, plus the sense of
> accomplishment as not everyone was up to the task. My concerns are not
> about saving few bucks.
>
> But 300% makes me pause. And it works out of the box (still there are some
> issues), is small, quiet, expandable storage, changes channels of
> course :-)

Thinking of it in terms of percentages is misleading.  Look at it in
terms of absolute numbers.

Assume the base price for a limited PVR is 150 CAD.

Is it worth it to you to spend 350 CAD for the advanced features
present in mythtv or not?  If it is, go with the mythtv, if not, go
with the pre-built box.

Thinking about it in terms of percentages can get really wacky.
Imagine if a PVR manufacture got a kickback from advertisers for
selling a PVR which would actively prevent fast forward during
commercials and this manufacturer could sell these boxes for $5 CAD
each due to the subsidy.  Now all of a sudden the 500 CAD mythtv is a
ten thousand percent markup relative to the pre-built.  Would that
give you pause, too?  Or would it be better to ask if $495 is worth it
for a lifetime of commercial skip and all of the other mythtv advanced
features?

Eric