[mythtv-users] Commercial PVR offerings - is MythTv still competitive ?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Feb 9 23:40:28 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 02:37:12PM -0800, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> George Mogielnicki <george at begos.ca> says:
> > Of course, there is quite a lot of functionality that is not
> > available with the receiver - mythvideo comes to mind as one.
>
> You likely answered your own question.
>
> > Has this commercial offering caught up with Myth TV in terms of
> > value ?
>
> Like Kevin Kuphal I didn't built a MythTV box because of cost, per se.
>
> Over the years it's seemed to me that a fair number of MythTV users
> rave over it because they were too cheap to (or lived in a country
> where they could not) pay for a TiVo and MythTV is the first time

    ...another reason I built my first MythTV box was that we moved
from Dish to DirecTV and from the S2 to a DirecTivo. I kind of liked
the HMO options in the regular S2. I was kind of hooked on this by
the S2 and disappointed by the DirecTivo.

     In my household, for my WAF, MythVideo is a killer app. Also the
fact that I can hack it can't be beat. I doubt that any standalone
upnp device or PVR can match the spiffiness of my own personal xine
wrapper for mythvideo.

      I don't know if a Popcorn hour could replace that.

[deletia]