[mythtv-users] Cool'n'Quiet setup help

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 00:12:25 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 5:06 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 11:21 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I apologize if this is a stupid question but I don't have a file
>>> called up_threshold on my system.  I do have powernowd but not cpufreq.  I
>>> can find online docs for powernowd  but again they are many years old and I
>>> have to assume out of date.
>>> Allen
>>>

>> You do not want powernowd. You want to use the in kernel cpu frequency
>> scaling and the in kernel ondemand.
>
> why? honest inquiry, I've never understood the differences.

I have a few reasons.
I find not having to install daemon for this better. The kernel
already knows how to handle this and it does it well. Also some of
these daemons cause improper frequencies to be set and reported
through /proc/cpuinfo. And finally using the in kernel setup allows
the same simple boot configuration for any amd or intel cpu. That
assumes the proper modules are activated in the kernel.

John