[mythtv-users] Moving recordings...

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Feb 10 01:06:11 UTC 2009

On 02/09/2009 07:41 PM, stuart wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> ****Therefore, if you have filesystems that are not exported to all
>> your Myth hosts, some directories may not be checked.  In these
>> cases, moving a recording from one host to a not-accessible directory
>> on another requires modifying the hostname associated with the
>> recording.  If the directory is accessible to all hosts through a
>> share, the hostname /probably/ should be changed to allow more
>> efficient transfer.  There are patches in the works which will allow
>> you to move recordings from within the Myth GUI in 0.22--including
>> updating all relevant DB data--.  Until then...
>>
> Thanks for taking the time to replay.  I'm thinking the answer to my
> specific situation is above.

Based on your original post, I'm thinking the answer to your question is
the "..." in, "There are patches in the works which will allow you to
move recordings from within the Myth GUI in 0.22--including updating all
relevant DB data--.  Until then..." portion of my post.  I chose not to
enumerate the options.

>   But I'm afraid I'll need to ask it regardless.
>
> I added a 1/2TB HDD to my slave back end (the master back end it too
> old to handle another SATA HDD) and wanted to start using it to store
> recordings.  Both the MBE and SBE store recordings in the directory
> /space/recordings.  I'll probably create another directory on the SBE
> called /more_space/recordings.  From what I understand, I need to tell
> the MBE to add the directory /more_space/recordings to the mythtv
> Storage Group. This, regardless that there is no such directory on the
> MBE.  This action should allow the SBE to start using the new HDD to
> store recordings.  And, it shouldn't bother the MBE that it will not
> find this directory.
>
> Do I have that right?

While MythTV doesn't care if an SG lists a directory that is not
accessible (doesn't exist, has permissions that prevent access, ...),
whether your system would actually find them is very much dependent on
your complete system (including network, filesystem including
shares/exports, and MythTV) configuration.

You should read the "****" second note from my post.  What to do with
that information, I'll leave up to you.  But I will say that you should
/definitely/ start with:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore

Mike