[mythtv-users] SA 3250 No Longer Recognized.

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Wed Feb 11 00:25:40 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 05:27:10PM -0600, Batshua bat Yehonatan wrote:
> According to the nice man I talked to at TWC, the boxes arrive from
> warehouse with the ports disabled.  (But it was working before!  What the
> heck?!)  The updates are handled by SA, not by them.  According to the SA
> PDF manual thingie I found online, the ports are "reserved" and may be
> disabled.  So... it turns out that SA has an FCC-questions related phone
> number that is NOT toll-free.  I shall be calling them tomorrow.
>
> Do we think TWC is lying and passing the buck here?

Yes.

Consider, for example, the case of RCN, which told me:

- they don't know what FireWire is.
- they don't have any FireWire equipped boxes.
- the warehouse has never heard of them.
- the warehouse doesn't have them.
- they can't specify boxes that have working FireWire ports.
- Hey, this MythTV thing is wicked cool! (two different
  installers)
- the FireWire ports are only available on the DVR boxes (I then
  told them to charge me for the regular HD boxes only, as it
  wasn't my problem that they couldn't supply FW any other way.)

One FW box works very nicely, for all channels that I subscribe
to including Showtime and HBO.

No other FW boxes that I have received from them work.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.