[mythtv-users] New spdif setup suggestions

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 01:03:15 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Allen Edwards
<allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 8:11 AM, James Crow <james at ultratans.com> wrote:
>>> I do not use digital audio at all, however I do help less knowledgeable
>>> users most every day as part of my job. I noticed a couple of things
>>> that could be made more clear for those just starting out with Linux or
>>> Myth.
>>>
>>> Under Step 1 explain where .asoundrc might be located.
>>>
>>> Under Step 4 explain where asound.conf might be located.
>>
>> Which is why this might be better in the wiki, and people point to it
>> when replying to list questions.
>> (not to decry Allen's excellent howto of course).
>>

> I am happy to put it anywhere the community thinks would be good.
> When trying to figure out spdif myself I found I think 3 wikis on the
> subject all of which were wrong, or at least not helpful to me at the
> time.  I really don't know where to put it.  So, I have been
> monitoring the list and helping people one at a time.  It would
> certainly be better for me to put is somewhere people can find it
> although I actually would have though people would have found it from

It is always good to aggregate something that has been discussed
across multiple threads. Well done.

In terms of where to put it, the wiki.mythtv.org is the best place
(IMHO). Create yet another digital audio howto page (there are at
least two already). Call it AllensDigitalAudioHowto or whatever you
want..

Can I also say that in relation to this bit:

> 1) Set up your system
> Update alsa
> Update nvidia drivers.  Mythbuntu users can use "envyng -t" from the
> command line after installing it.

What versions of alsa and nvidia drivers are needed (and why?). Is
there a trick to getting the right version in distros that are behind
the latest in their packaging?