[mythtv-users] New spdif setup suggestions

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 03:05:09 UTC 2009

> yes so they do, sorry. However what version of alsa should I look for?
> I am on hardy, probably should update to intrepid but everything else
> works OK. Anyway I thought alsa-base needed to be >=1.0.18 (from
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=alsa-base
> [snip earlier versions]
> # hardy (sound): ALSA driver configuration files
> 1.0.16-0ubuntu4: all
> # intrepid (sound): ALSA driver configuration files
> 1.0.17.dfsg-2ubuntu1: all
> # jaunty (sound): ALSA driver configuration files
> 1.0.18.dfsg-1ubuntu3: all
>

> So I am unsure how to get 1.0.18 (assuming that IS what I need).
> Anyway people could be doing this on a number of distros so I suggest
> again you include reference what the minimum version is for alsa and
> for nvidia too. People may be reading your howto in a years time when
> the average distro may already include the required versions (and
> updating may for whatever reason break other things).
>
> No criticism but I know how dated wikis and howtos can become and I
> have often scratched my head and said "when was this written? is it
> still applicable? what version is he referring to?"

Can someone who has gotten HDMI audio to work help out here with the version
numbers required as a minimum on alsa and nvidia drivers to get HDMI audio
working?

Specifically, I just upgraded alsa and have version 1.0.16.  Is this good
enough for HDMI?
Why did anyone have to upgrade the nvidia driver?

I am trying to put together a wiki for digital sound that works and I don't
have HDMI so there is a limit on what I can test.

Thanks for the help.

Allen

Allen