[mythtv-users] mythWelcome and a very slow gui?

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Wed Feb 11 18:36:54 UTC 2009

Jay Summet wrote:

>> If it's any comfort to you, it was very slow for me with 0.21, but with
>> the new UI stuff in trunk, it's just as fast as everything else now.
>>

> Ok, thanks! I'll assume that 0.21-fixes (what I'm running) is just as
> slow as 0.21 and it's nothing I'm doing wrong.  However, I think I'll
> wait until the 0.22 release before upgrading.
>
> Jay

Just to clarify a few things here. MythWelcome in the 0.21 release and
0.21-fixes was modified so it only processed events every 0.25 seconds
IIRC. The reason for this was to make it consume less power because it
didn't needlessly wake up the cpu as often. This does have an impact on
the amount of power consumed but also has a small impact on performance
but only when redrawing the qt popup menu everything else seemed fine to
me, even the menu was perfectly usable just a little slow to redraw
sometimes.  I've never seen it take 2-3 second to redraw though more
like  0.25 seconds at the most for me.

In contrast the 0.22 version of MythWelcome hasn't been modified to
conserve power in any way and in fact consumes considerable more than
the old MythWelcome ever did because of the pulse system which is used
to animate a few things like the fade effect. That causes at least 70
wake ups a second even if the pulses aren't being used like in
MythWelcome. Unfortunately there is no way to turn that off at the
moment so we are stuck with it.

Paul H.