[mythtv-users] Need help with playing H.264 videos

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 02:16:15 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Marc Barrett <mnealbarrett at cox.net> wrote:
> I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 530, with a 2.2Mhz
> core 2 duo.  I downloaded the test videos from the mythtv
> web page on the HD-PVR (the ones called 13.5.mpg and
> 10.mpg).  I was surprised that my system can't play them.
> I expected a 2.2Mhz core 2 duo to be able to do it.

Well at 2.2 Mhz one can hardly wonder why.  ;)

Anyway, even at 2.2 Ghz, that's going to be too slow for HD-PVR
material with CPU alone.  Max quality CBR output from the HD-PVR
requires more along the lines of a 2.8 Ghz-3.0 Ghz Core 2.  Once VDPAU
has matured it will work well with the HD-PVR recordings.  I've had
good results in testing.  So long story short, upgrade the processor
now, or the Graphics card when VDPAU is stable.

Robert