[mythtv-users] Delaying frontend start

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Feb 12 14:43:13 UTC 2009

On Feb 12, 2009, at 2:25 AM, Jan Schneider wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if there some built-in means to delay the start
> of mythfrontend, or to set a higher timeout when trying to connect
> to the backend.
>
> Reason is, I am running Mythbuntu, so mythbackend is started through
> Sys-V init, the frontend through autologin and the desktop
> managers's (xfce) autostart feature. This is a combined box. Since
> the box is connected through wlan, the IP address that the backend
> is bind to is usually up *after* the frontend started, so the
> frontend is complaining that it can't connect to the backend. I want
> to avoid that warning at the frontend start, so if a delay or longer
> timeout is not possible, I would also be happy with an option to
> turn the warning off. But I couldn't find either of these.
> I may start the frontend from if-up, but I would prefer a myth-
> native solution.

Instead of delaying the frontend, you should probably start your
networking sooner. There's a problem in Ubuntu where the networking
doesn't start until you log in as well as a way to make it start
sooner. (Not a bug, but a weird way they've designed the networking
such that it doesn't work for services that require networking before
you log in.)

-Brad