[mythtv-users] Way to turn off VGA output on command line?

Steve Heistand steve at heistand.org
Thu Feb 12 17:08:41 UTC 2009

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 10:58:25 -0600, Richard Shaw wrote
> My TV is newer than my Onkyo HT receiver and I'm using the remote for
> LIRC. Currently I have to manually turn off the TV or use the TV
> remote.
>
> Is there a way to turn off the video output from the VGA port on the
> command line? Prior to getting DMPS turned off I noticed the TV will
> "SLEEP" if it's not receiving a signal over VGA and I'd like to take
> advantage of that fact. I'm looking for something I can toggle using
> the exec feature of lirc.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

pick an unused button on your remote, set up your ~/.lircrc file to add
that button and have it run a external command/script. (how I dont know
off top of my head but Ive seen it done)
then make the command be:

xset s 1 2 ; xset dpms 3 4 5 ; sleep 10 ; xset s 600 610 ; xset dpms 700 800 900

the last 2 xset commands should be changed to what your default is now.

that will send the vga out into power save mode which should trip your tv.
then it will come back up with any movement of the mythfrontend.

"Why is it so hot inside this handbasket?"
--
Steve Heistand
steve at heistand.org