[mythtv-users] HD HomeRun 1012xxxxx vs later models (Rev1 vs Rev2 tuners)

jason maxwell decepticon at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 19:33:23 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 12:44 PM, Jay Summet <jay at summet.com> wrote:

> I have been using a Silicon Dust HD HomeRun networked HDTV tuner (with
> integrated IR receiver) for a littler over a year. Overall, I have been
> very pleased with the unit. I think having the tuner outside of the
> computer case offers a lot of flexibility (and reliability), plus the
> built in IR-receiver solved that problem for me easily. At $170 new,
> it's a good price point for two tuners.
>

> A few hiccups:

I too have been using an HDHR for over a year now, and I love it.  I use the
IR receiver as well, to much satisfaction.  The only hiccup I have could be
related to the sensitivity of the older tuners, I'm not sure.  Mine has a
1010xxxx number FWIW.  I notice that some recordings (cable), mainly on FOX,
but occasionally other networks, are heavy with artifacts, while the same
channel at the same time comes in crystal clear using my TV's built in QAM
tuner directly.  This happens with SD and HD, and spans commercials as
well.  The recordings are unwatchable in most cases, since the sound will
drop out, and the picture goes blocky or skips every couple of seconds.  I
havn't investigated too deeply yet, but the signal meter shows FOX coming in
at >80% strength.  I wouldnt think that's too strong.  Since this problem is
not constant, and I don't usually notice until a couple days after a program
airs and I try to watch it, it is very difficult to narrow down.  If it were
more reproducable, I would probably pursue trying to RMA my HDHR for a new
one.  Does anyone else notice this problem?
-Jason