[mythtv-users] Newbie questions: a digital DVD library

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Feb 12 20:19:43 UTC 2009

On Thursday 12 February 2009 12:13:34 gonzalo diethelm wrote:

> 4. The other thing I have been unable to do is to watch video streamed
> from the Internet. I tried watching several different channels (BBC and
> NASA) and I could hear the sound off my speakers, but the small box
> where it would show the movie was just a blue rectangle. What gives?

Sounds like a video output problem, what did you specify as -vo for mplayer?
What did it say when it started?

> 5. Eventually, when I set up my definite machine, I will use Ubuntu
> Server for the setup. How hard is it to install and configure MythTV on
> Ubuntu, WITHOUT using MythBuntu?

Why Ubuntu Server? Myth can be set up on just about any Linux distro, though
it is easier to get help with the more commonly-used ones.

Obviously the easiest way to get Myth set up and running is with one of
the "all-in-one" MythTV distributions, Mythbuntu, Mythdora, Knoppmyth and the
like.

Setting up on well-known distros is generally not too hard, but if it is going
to be a dedicated box I don't understand why you don't want to just go with
one of the all-in-ones as a start, then perhaps compile for yourself on your
favorite distro if you want/need somethign not provided on the AIOs.

> That's it for now. If somebody could find the time to push me in the
> right direction, I would really appreciate it (and would certainly come
> up with more questions in the future).
>
> If possible, please copy me in any answers. Thanks in advance and best
> regards.

OK. It's also usually better to keep to a single problem per post, or trying
to follow the thread(s) gets difficult, as does searching the archives by
subject.

Phrases like "Newbie Questions" in the subject are not helpful. Rememeber
people will be searching the archives, and probably won't think to look
for "Newbie Question" if they have the same problem(s) as you.

Most people here want to help you, whether you are a newbie or an old hand.

--
beww
beww at beww.org