[mythtv-users] Newbie questions: a digital DVD library

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Thu Feb 12 21:58:35 UTC 2009

Look into MythVideo rather than the main part of MythTV if your goal is
movies. Myth is really optimized for TV record/playback but the MythVideo
plugin works quite well for viewing movies. VIDEO_TS/AUDIO_TS directories
will work with it. Personally, I would transcode to h264 to get size down.
Store in MKV and you can have multipule audio and subtitle tracks including
original untouched AC3/DTS. I find Handbrake does a good job getting that
all how I like it. If you want to leave all the special features and such,
ISO is probably the best way as the menus and such don't tend to work with
transcoding. I believe MythVideo will read the ISO file directly and play it
back with menus and such.

You can organize the directories any way you like. You can also add
metadata, though it does slow things down to read it back in later. I don't
bother, just the titles gets the job done for me.

The internal player works well most of the time. You can also use mplayer,
xine, vlc, whatever.

Mythbuntu is basically Ubuntu with the mythtv packages installed. There's
not much difference that you would notice. Personally, I just use Mythbuntu
for the Mythboxes and Ubuntu Server for the fileserver. Right tool for the
job and all that. I do have Myth installed on my server, so it does run
there. I don't run a frontend there though. I installed the packages so I
could run the job queue for commflagging.