[mythtv-users] Newbie questions: a digital DVD library

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Feb 12 22:09:02 UTC 2009

On Thursday 12 February 2009 14:58:35 Travis Tabbal wrote:

> Mythbuntu is basically Ubuntu with the mythtv packages installed. There's
> not much difference that you would notice. Personally, I just use Mythbuntu
> for the Mythboxes and Ubuntu Server for the fileserver. Right tool for the
> job and all that. I do have Myth installed on my server, so it does run
> there. I don't run a frontend there though. I installed the packages so I
> could run the job queue for commflagging.

One difference that was mentioned here is that Mythbuntu does not install
pulse audio, while if you install Myth on top of a regular Ubuntu install you
will have pulse installed. No big deal, but it seems to have caused problems
for some. Anyway, just something to be aware of.

I think the latest Ubuntu (8.10) installs compiz, possibly something you would
not want on a Myth system.

--
beww
beww at beww.org