[mythtv-users] Connecting to PVR-500 S-Video???

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 02:13:09 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Doug Lytle <support at drdos.info> wrote:
> Nick Rout wrote:
>>
>> cat /dev/video0 > myvhstape.mpg
>> push play on VCR
>> ctrl-c to finish.
>>

> For those of us that want to start the recording and forget about it, that's
> not a good option.
>
> What I do, is find out the length of the video (2 hours average), go into
> Mythweb, channel 3, select to record it and then use the "End Late:  XXX
> Minutes" option, so if it's currently on a 30 minute show, I add "End Late:
> 90 Minutes" and I forget about it.  Once completed, I modify the title,
> Description, etc in the database.
>
> I've never tried to use the svideo in on my PVR-350, so I have no
> suggestions on that.
>
> Doug

True enough, I used a custom record when I did it. Enabled me to name
it sensibly before starting.

I guess a script could be written

recordvhs

#!/bin/sh
cat /dev/video0 > $1 &
sleep $((60*$2))     # [1]
kill $!
#called "recordvhs filename length-in-minutes"

[1] actually that doesn't seem to work but you get the idea!