[mythtv-users] Directories where ripped DVDs are stored

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 14:41:12 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 8:19 AM, gonzalo diethelm <gdiethelm at dcv.cl> wrote:

> I understand that, in order to watch ripped DVDs (stored on a backend)
> from a separate frontend, I need to make sure the volumes holding those
> rips are accessible from the frontend with something like NFS or Samba.
> Questions:
>

> 1. Is Samba good enough to share the volumes, or is NFS pretty much the
> only way? I would like to be able to sometimes watch those movies from a
> Windows machine, so if Samba is good enough I would rather stick to
> that.

- I have set up both NFS  and Samba shares on my backend.  My (linux) Myth
frontends mount the NFS share, and when I want to connect from a Windows
machine I use the smb.  My backend seems to have no problem with both NFS
and SMB accessing the same directories (permissions issues aside!)

> 2. Is it the case that TV recordings also must be exported via NFS or
> Samba, or are they transferred from backend to frontend using some kind
> of streaming protocol? Just curious.

- Streaming protocol.  No need to set up NFS or SMB.

> 3. Has anybody tried sharing these files over a WiFi (802.11g) network?
> Is the bandwidth and latency enough to be able to watch a DVD from a
> remote frontend?

"It depends".  On my network my wife's Apple Macbook (new shape) has no
problem keeping up over a 802.11g network for a DVD (or even HD TV when
using mythfrontend).  My mac mini, and windows machines all stutter
terribly.  Others will tell you it is also influenced by your house's
construction, the density of wi-fi in your neighbourhood, the phase of the
moon, and plain luck.