[mythtv-users] mythWelcome and a very slow gui?

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Fri Feb 13 19:41:15 UTC 2009

Jay Summet wrote:
>> Just to clarify a few things here. MythWelcome in the 0.21 release and
>> 0.21-fixes was modified so it only processed events every 0.25 seconds
>> IIRC. The reason for this was to make it consume less power because it
>> didn't needlessly wake up the cpu as often. This does have an impact on
>> the amount of power consumed but also has a small impact on performance
>> but only when redrawing the qt popup menu everything else seemed fine to
>> me, even the menu was perfectly usable just a little slow to redraw
>> sometimes.  I've never seen it take 2-3 second to redraw though more
>> like  0.25 seconds at the most for me.
>>
>> Paul H.
>>

> Interesting. On my box the pause between a button press and action on
> the screen are MUCH longer than 0.25 of a second.
>
> If you can give me an approximate location in the codebase I can modify
> my copy to remove the 0.25 second wait and see if that fixes what I
> perceive to be an overly slow UI or not.
>
> Jay

The relevant line is here:-
http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/browser/branches/release-0-21-fixes/mythtv/programs/mythwelcome/welcomedialog.cpp#L118

Try lowering the 250000 value and see if it improves things.

You could also revert http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/15206 which
is the changeset that added the power saving stuff.

Paul H.