[mythtv-users] Vdpau and Nvidia 8200, not enough resources?

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 23:15:45 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Stefan Reichel <stefan.reichel at rapid-net.de
> wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 11:29 +1300, Nick Rout wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Stefan Reichel
> > <stefan.reichel at rapid-net.de> wrote:

> > > To be honest the Jetway NC62K-LF was my second choice. My first joice
> > > was the NC81-LF with a onboard Radeon 3200, but Ati drivers... . Both
> > > boards are Mini-ITX boards, so optimal for a htpc.
> > >
> > > Nevertheless the older NC62K-LF is great, everything works ;-) But
> there
> > > were also some problems:
> > >
> > > - Audio over HDMI works out of the box, but without volume control
> > > -> solution: create a soft mixer
> >
> > and thereby interfere with the digital stream. Your amp is supposed to
> > control the volume, not the source.
>
> Yes, it is intended to do so. Nevertheless this doesn't fit into my main
> concept. I didn't wanted to control tv an htpc with two separate remote
> controls. Therefore i created this virtual volume control, this makes
> the tv remote obsolete. So only one "remote", (my logitech dinovo mini
> keyboard) survived. Till now i couldn't see any interference.
>
> Stefan
>

> > > - 2D performance is not overwhelming, it's ok for surfing etc. But goom
> > > music visualization with 1920x1080 falters(when using default
> settings).
> > > -> solution: take projectm works perfect and has more effects
> > >
> > > - Bios flashing is done in dos
> > >

> > > I hope this helps, if you have still some questions ask.
> > >
> > > Stefan

This would be OK for watching TV but if you have a movie or something with
good sound and a 5.1 surround system you would not want to use myth to do
the volume.  Afterall, what you are asking it to do is take a nice digital
data stream, decode it, modify it, encode it, pass it to the surround system
where it is decoded and modified and converted to analog.  Better to just
convert decode it once.

Also, I have read that ALSA doesn't do a very good job of encoding.

Allen