[mythtv-users] Waiting for a HD HomeRun before starting the MythTV backend

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 21:32:55 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Jay Summet <jay at summet.com> wrote:

> Allen Edwards wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Jay Summet <jay at summet.com
> > <mailto:jay at summet.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     My mythtv box uses a SiliconDust HDHomeRun external network based
> tuner.
> >     Every so often (1 out of 5 boots) the network subsystem (or at least
> >     DHCP) does not get started up before the mythtv-backend daemon. This
> >     causes an error where the mythtv-backend does not find the tuner, so
> it
> >     can not record any shows.
> >     [I have my HDHomerun set up with an ethernet crossover cable directly
> >     plugged into the MythTv box, which is doing the DHCP setup of the
> >     HDHomerun directly, as opposed to having an external home router that
> >     does this. I suspect that this is the cause for the race condition.]
> <snip>
> >
> > Change your IP to static and the problem goes away.  You probably have
> > it set to roaming and I am told that if you just change it away from
> > roaming it is OK but I didn't try that, I just set it to static.
> >

> The IP of my mythtv box is static, as is the IP it assigns to the
> HDHomeRun box. The problem appears to be timing/ordering of bringing up
> the network interface to the HDHomeRun box (and assigning it a static IP
> via DHCP) vs the startup time of the mythtv-backend.
>
> Jay
>
> Jay
>
> I will admit to not being an expert on this stuff but when I hear "assigning
it a static IP" I don't really understand and it makes me question the
setup.
My setup is that I have a router and both the myth box and the hdhr are
connected to the router.  The router assigns the IP to the HDHR using DHCP.
 The myth box is static and that is noted in a table in the router.  The
router does not assign the static address.

All I can say is that I used to have the problem you are having and I don't
any longer.

Hope this helps,

Allen