[mythtv-users] Should I Upgrade Frontend from AMD 3200+ to AMD X2 3800+ (DualCore) ?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Sat Feb 14 22:00:22 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 06:07:56AM -0500, William wrote:
> Ben Coleman wrote:
>> I have the option to purchase a dual core processor for an existing
>> legacy motherboard (socket939) that currently only has a single core
>> chip.
>>
>> Do people think I will get any benefit in uplifting this frontend to
>> dualcore?
>>
>> I don't currently playback a lot of HD content but will be when I
>> upgrade the TV in six months.
>
> More processor is always good. You dont need it now however you will
> need it to play some of the flavors of HD files out there.

Yes, and video playback and transocdes are some of the things that make full
use of extra cores.  Presumably even 3 cores is good.

Though right now I am buying all core 2 duo.   Most myth systems end
up being up 24/7.    And being up 24/7 makes every watt of power count,
and core 2 processors are lower power than the AMDs, unless AMD has changed
a lot recently.

In the 3 year lifespan of an always on machine, each watt translates to 26 kwh.
How much you pay for kwh varies.  In California, if you are on tier 3 like I am,
it's 31 cents, meaning each watt costs $8.  If you get cheaper power, like 11 cents
in some places, each watt is around $3 ($1 per year.)

But it does mean that saving 10 watts, with a better processor can mean $80,
which cuts away any price saving on AMD.   It also means you should go and buy
a new high-efficiency power supply since that will save you 10 watts, and you
can get those for less than $80 -- I just got a nice barely used Earthwatts on
ebay for $15.   Sell your old PS on ebay.

Extra hard drives, costing 8 watts, may well cost more electricity than the
price of the disk!

So buy the lowest wattage stuff you can get.