[mythtv-users] MythTV box power usage

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 16:11:37 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 6:22 AM, Jay Summet <jay at summet.com> wrote:

> >     A typical box for mythtv does not draw much power.   A box with
> >     efficient power supply, core 2 duo, 2g ram, single hard drive,
> >     modest video card (7600gt or 8400gs) will draw about 65 to 70
> >     watts at the wall (kill-a-watt) and go up to perhaps 100w if the
> >     CPU gets going full bore.
> >

> As a reference point:
>
> I have the cheapest computer I could buy from Frys:
>
> It has a Celeron D 3.2Mhz  CPU in it with 1GB ram, 2 HD's and a fanless
> NVIDIA GeForce 7200GS graphics card. [I shutter to think about the
> efficiency of that power supply...]
>
> My computer alone takes 120 watts idle and goes up to approx 140 when
> transcoding, commflagging, watching HD, etc.
>
> The whole setup (when watching TV) takes 335 watts (TV and receiver add
> a lot, plus another external HD, printer, antenna pre-amp, HDHomerun,
> etc). When we turn the TV and DVD/Amplifier off when not in use, the
> computer, HD Tuner, external HD, antenna preamplifier, printer, UPS, etc
> take up 141 watts when idle, and around 160 when recording,
> trans-coding, or detecting commercials in a television show.
>
> I've estimated that this costs around $10 a month of electricity. (aprox
> 0.10 a kW/h)
>
> This is why I've set the box to shut itself down when idle. We still
> have a constant drain of 36 watts for all of the other components, but
> thats a lot better than 140-160 continuously. The complete silence is a
> nice side-effect. Having to boot the computer when I want to watch TV
> and wait for two minutes is the trade-off.
>
> Jay

I will add another point.

I have an ASUS M3A with an AMD 5400+ CPU, 2 HD, a 6200 video card and a 80+
power supply and take 85 watts at idle.  I leave it on.  I would love to
have a lower power draw but want the TV to go on when it is turned on.  WAF
a big deal here.

How long does it take a myth unit to come out of its power down state?  Can
it wake on a remote key command?

Allen