[mythtv-users] MythTV Transcode Proxy

Ma Begaj derliebegott at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 12:04:19 UTC 2009

2009/2/15 Chase Douglas <chasedouglas.lists at gmail.com>:
> Hello all,
>
> I wanted to mention a project I've been working on call MythTV Transcode
> Proxy, or MTP. It allows for a slightly modified frontend to connect to a
> mythtv setup from across the internet, even if there are multiple slave
> backends and the system sits behind a NAT router. All control messages (and
> video streams if you want) are encrypted using TLS-SRP. Finally, and this is
> most interesting to me, the frontend can request the stream to be transcoded
> on the fly to a format of the frontend's choosing.
>
> More details can be found at
> http://trac.assembla.com/legend/wiki/MythTVTranscodeProxy.
>
> I would enjoy hearing of any and all comments, questions, and concerns
> anyone may have. My intention is that this can be used to allow for all
> kinds of atypical frontends, such as frontends on mobile devices. I am also
> currently working on an iPhone frontend, but it is very far from completion.
> However, I can attest that it can play back video streams from my backend to
> my iPhone on AT&T's 3G network.
>
> Thanks,
> Chase Douglas
>
> P.S.: I find Qt to be marvelous, but c++ itself to be clumsy (when compared
> to objective-c at least), so if anyone peeks at the code and sees any code
> misuse or design flaws, I'm all ears.

Hi,

this sounds absolutely great even for typical frontends. or for my PocketPC.

> the frontend can request the stream to be transcoded
> on the fly to a format of the frontend's choosing.

This feature is something I really need, because one of my frontends
it an old slow notebook and it would be great to be able to request a
recording with a smaller resolution or bitrate => I do not need 720p
on a old CRT TV.

As I see it supports only LiveTV at the moment and recordings will
come later. 0.22 should (I read somewhere on the list) handle
MythVideo files like normal recordings (stream them through backend)
and MTP could maybe handle even these files.

But ... how much "power" does the backend/proxy need to transcode on
the fly?! Could VDPAU be used for transcoding?!