[mythtv-users] Netflix Streaming on Myth box?

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Mon Feb 16 13:39:04 UTC 2009

Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> says:
> 2) Buy a Roku or X-Box which basically bypasses the myth issue

I can only speak on the Xbox 360.

Beyond the console (US$200 at Amazon for cheapest model), Netflix
access requires an Xbox Live Gold subscription (US$49.99/year). An
unlimited number of streamable films are available through the
console, regardless of membership level.

"Streamable" is an important caveat. Only a small subset of Netflix's
library is available online:

2007'S TOP 10 BOX OFFICE FILMS[1]
XW Spider-Man 3
 * Shrek the Third
 W  Transformers
X* Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
 *  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
 *  I am Legend
 *  The Bourne Ultimatum
X* National Treasure: Book of Secrets
 *  Alvin and the Chipmunks
 *  300

[1] <URL:http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2007>
X = Available through Netflix on Xbox 360
* = Recorded and available for playback on my MythTV system
W = Previously watched and deleted on my MythTV system

I tested _Spider-Man 3_. After adding it to Netflix's instant queue,
the movie appeared on the Xbox's within seconds. Initial preloading
takes about 15 seconds. Given the nature of streaming, Netflix uses a
clever system during fast forwards/rewinds in which a series of still
frames visually depicts where one is. Note that even the smallest skip
requires another 15 seconds of streaming before playback resumes.

Visual quality is mixed; it's quite viewable, but certainly inferior
to what the premium HD movie-channels (~4.5-5GB/hour) on my cable
system offer. Using the Xbox 360's controls to switch the video to
Native mode shows that it is actually in DVD resolution, blown up to
fit my 1080p display. Given my 10Mbps Internet connection I presume I
am receiving the best-possible stream.

Playback is buggy; within minutes I hung the console through a series
of quick fast-forwards and rewinds, requiring the power cord be
pulled.

The overall experience is inferior to any MythTV user used to instant
playbacks and instant skips. Selecting a movie, adding it to the
instant queue, loading and running the Xbox 360's Netflix application,
choosing the movie, then starting playback takes a good 60 seconds at
best. Skips are maddeningly slow and the visual quality is, as noted,
inferior to a good HD broadcast.

I realize not everyone is as fortunate as I am in having both
untrammeled access to HD cable-movie channels and lots of storage to
record onto. 0.22 will fully support the HD-PVR, though, and hard
drive space is ridiculously cheap nowadays
(<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/353451#353451>). I
suggest that, assuming one does not already have an Xbox console, $250
is better invested in adding a couple of terabytes to one's MythTV
setup. Me? I'm not planning on renewing my Xbox Live Gold subscription
because I don't use it enough.

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array