[mythtv-users] Screen Blanking

Jason Gauthier jgauthier at lastar.com
Mon Feb 16 14:17:12 UTC 2009

The random times, to me, imply something is wrong like your GPU is over
heating, or is over clocked.
Are there any utilities available that would allow you to query your
graphics card to list temperature? I am unfamiliar with intel VGA.

Do you have another VGA cable to rule out the cable?
Do you have another VGA card, to rule that out?

Next time the screen blanks, can you ssh in or ctrl-alt-f1 and check
`dmesg` and other log files for clues.

Can you run the following and see what happens?

xset s noblank
xset s off
xset -dpms

What about the ubuntu desktop settings. Exit mythfrontend and remain
logged in and set the Ubuntu Desktop Settings

 * Power Management: System->Preferences->Power Management - "Put
display to sleep when inactive for" move the slider to the far right
(never)
 * Screensaver: System->Preferences->Screensaver - uncheck "Activate
screensaver when computer is idle"

All of these, I've eliminated, and thought I had done a decent job
explaining that.  It's NOT a screensaver/DPMS issue.  It only happens
when watching recordings and TV.

I checked OpenGL sync, and I have OpenGL disabled.  This card is not
good enough for it.  However, I also went into the CPU profiles and
changed to a different profile.

I had recordings running and LiveTV for HOURS last night.  I am hopeful,
but because of its erratic state, I am not sure if this is resolved.