[mythtv-users] How big CF card for frontend?

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Mon Feb 16 14:18:37 UTC 2009

At 10:41 AM +0000 2/16/09, Mike Perkins wrote:
>Phil Wild wrote:
>>
>>I bought a 4GB USB stick and mounted it internally. Mythbuntu is
>>currently consuming 2.5G of the 4G stick. 0.5G is swap leaving 1.5G
>>left.
>>
>Ouch. You really, really, don't want to be using any CF storage as a
>swap partition. If you're just running a front end, you don't need
>swap[1], so turn it off. If you do need swap, it's easier to just
>add more RAM instead.

I agree. Whenever Linux has swap available it tends to use little
bits of it whether it needs to or not. Any unnecessary writes to a CF
card are a bad thing, since they shorten its life.

I've been running my FE/slave-BE off an 8 Gb SDHC card for about a
year now. It has 2 Gb of RAM and no swap, and has never had an out of
memory error. That's with X running in 1080p, often with Firefox, too.