[mythtv-users] Settings scheduler to record HD shows on HD tuner before falling back to analog tuners

Patrick Oglesby octoberblu3 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 19:21:39 UTC 2009

> If you get a chance to try this out I'd be curious to know if it works.
> I have a similar, yet different situation. I have one analog card and
> one digital card (the drivers for analog capture on the digital card
> don't exist and even if they did, the lack of hardware encoding would
> probably keep me from using it for that). Virtually every show on the
> local broadcast channels here is sent across the wire 3 times. Once in
> analog, once in digital HD (either channel 77-x or 78-x) and once in
> digital SD (18-x). I'd really like to be able to set the priority to be:
>
> 1. Digital HD (only for HD broadcasts)
> 2. Digital SD
> 3. Analog
>
> Obviously any program that isn't available in digital form would drop
> straight to the analog card (like it does now). Likewise, any program in
> HD would be recorded on the HD Channel... and if there's another show
> available on a different multiplex of that card, it too can be recorded
> (like it does now). The only difference would be if it's available on
> the digital station but not an HD broadcast to just record it off
> channel 18 (which I actually completely disregard right now due to the
> fact that it duplicates existing channels).
>
> Hope that makes sense.... pretty much what the OP was talking about,
> just a slightly different scenario.

How about for your situation; give HD programs a +1 to the recoding
priority, and give a +1 boost to your digital tuner card.  Anything
not visible to the digital card will just record on analog, but HD and
SD recordings available on the digital tuner will always have
preference over the analog tuner.